Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, MAY 13, 2013

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
  3. Approval of Minutes From The Previous Meeting
  4. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report
    2. Membership Committee Report
    3. Newsletter Report
    4. Picnic Planning
    5. Web Site / Constant Contact Report
    6. National Night Out / Neighborhood Watch Program
    7. Interest Groups Report
  5. New Business
  6. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order

    President Leanne Reynolds called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at 7:00 PM on Monday, May 13 at the home of Director Beth Volpe, 1910 Las Flores Drive.

  2. Roll Call
    Directors present
    Lyn Foster, Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Bruce Hinckley, Richard Lee, Wendy Myers, Armine Perian, Leanne Reynolds, Stephanie Schus, Beth Volpe, Todd Yvega.
    Directors absent
    Armine Hacopian, John Wolff.
    Note taker
    Armine Perian.
  3. Approval of Minutes From The Previous Meeting
    • Since the minutes of the March 11 meeting had not been posted on the wiki for review, the board decided to postpone approving said minutes until the next meeting.
    • Minute edits to be done on Wiki, then post on website after approval.
  4. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report

      Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      • Report attached.
      • Cash in bank $19,074.
      • Total income $237.
      • Total membership of 169.
      • Last year 179.
      • Prepaid = if inadvertently pay twice, then check is deposited and applied to the following year membership.
      • President’s goal is 250 members by end of year.
      • Motion by Bruce to approve financial report.  Second by Lyn.  Budget accepted by board.
    2. Membership Committee Report

      Vice President and Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers presented.

      • Wendy requested names of members who did not renew.
      • Suggestion to change name to “neighborhood association” instead of “property owners association”.
      • Greenbriar Road has very few members (although there are plenty of members on the cul-de-sacs along Greenbriar Road).
      • Leanne encourages ad-hoc meetings to address agenda item issues instead of waiting for the regular board meetings.
      • Wendy may call on board members to walk and solicit membership renewals.  Also consider the Constant Contact blast email.
      • New member welcoming committee – great way to get people involved.  Cheryl recommends as board members we look out for new property owners moving in and notify them of the association.
      • When real estate chart is done for the newsletter at the same time Leanne will give the list of names to the membership chair.
      • Need to revise membership letter to target the 500 non-members.
      • Beth recommends changing RCPOA to DBA to include non-property owners.  Rima on Royal may help.
      • Leanne – need more than one person in charge of membership.  Beth Volpe agrees to co-chair with Wendy Myers.
      • Lyn – recommend to dovetail Nextdoor with RCPOA membership.
      • Next membership campaign to be multi-faceted, print, Nextdoor, web, personal visits.
    3. Newsletter Report

      Newsletter Committee Chair Lyn Foster presented.

      • Option 1 – No change.  Mail all 3 newsletters to all residents.
      • Option 2 – Mail to all residents once per year, members x3.
      • Option 3 – Send an electronic version of the newsletter via Constant Contact (to those residents for whom we have email addresses) as well as mailing it to all residents.  Ask residents (via the newsletter and Constant Contact) to opt out of hard copy and receive only the electronic version.  Can still choose to send an annual hard copy to residents.
      • Board voted for option 3 with a hard copy at end of year to all residents.  Will begin implementation next newsletter.
      • Stephanie has learned that in some neighborhoods, membership declines with only electronic communication.
      • Richard to provide Todd new application forms with option 3.  Todd will upload list of opt ins into Constant Contact.
      • Constant Contact is blast email service.  Gathers stats, allows for professional emails, see how many open, etc.  Very inexpensive.  Used by many small businesses.
      • Lyn will contact people for photos from annual meeting.
      • Leanne – meeting for traffic calming will be attending meeting tomorrow.
      • Leanne – recommend a column of in memoriam of neighbors who have passed.  Any board member who knows of a neighbor who has recently passed should notify Lyn.
      • Articles due to Lyn by 5/24 for 5/31 publish date.
    4. Picnic Planning

      Social Committee Chair Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • Budget is finite regardless of how many people show up.
      • Leanne willing to sponsor.  Recommend to solicit sponsorship thru Constant Contact.  She already has a sponsor to donate water.
      • Suggest to Koichi Mori (Proprietor of Mori Teppan Grill) to sponsor.
      • Bruce motioned to offer picnic free to members, with nonmembers paying $5 per person or they could join RCPOA at the picnic and get the member “deal”.  We could also have a donation bucket available.  Unanimous vote passed the motion.
      • Leanne to draft Constant Contact letter for members to contribute or provide services for picnic.  Beth recommends assigning a board member to solicit sponsors.
      • Cheryl requests getting the existing picnic signs and banners from last year so as to inventory these before printing more.  Need ambassadors who will pick up the signs the day of the picnic and bring to picnic site to lead visitors to picnic site.
      • Question about the permit.  Not allowed to exchange money at the park.
      • Historically board members have donated gift cards ($20).  Cheryl would prefer cash donation or gift the interest group(s).
      • Lyn to check with Mobile gas station for ice donation.
      • Enhancing dessert course with a cupcake baking contest.  Will need to mention in Newsletter.
      • Mention Zippo will be at the picnic for photo ops.
      • Leanne to send note via Constant Contact to solicit involvement from neighbors for the picnic.
      • Don’t require RSVP for picnic.  Historically have 60-70 people.  Expect 80, will prepare for 90.
      • Promote bringing dogs and have a dog parade.  Dovetail start of a dog interest group.
    5. Web Site / Constant Contact Report

      Webmaster Todd Yvega presented.

      • Added donation item to the Purchase Form.  Two households used it to donate funds.
      • Constant Contact – very impressive and extensive but steep learning curve.  Recipient list updated as appropriate for each mailing.
    6. National Night Out / Neighborhood Watch Program

      National Night Out Committee Co-Chair Bruce Hinckley presented.

      • Next meeting 5/28 at Bruce’s house, 7:00 PM.
      • NNO event to occur on August 6 on Royal Boulevard.  Need to confirm location.
      • Mike Myers is researching Porta-Potty rentals.
      • Food trucks lined up.  Increased variety.
      • Children’s activity.  Gina Vadurro Seifert to coordinate children activities.
      • Promote NNO at our Summer Picnic.
      • Officer Sue Shine will be a guest.
      • Lyn working on signs.
      • Looking for sponsors.
      • Don Wilson not responding to request to host National Night Out.
      • Cheryl recommends to do block party on Majestic Way as Plan B.
      • Todd received permission to use the NNO logo.
      • Invite block captains to the National Night Out meeting on 5/28.
    7. Interest Groups Report

      Interest Groups Committee Chair Stephanie Schus presented.

      Stephanie reported that the Cooking, Book Discussion and Gardening groups continue to meet regularly.  Gina Vadurro said people are too busy to schedule play dates for the Parents Group, so she will simply send out a monthly email about activities for kids in/near Glendale.  Few people responded to a survey Stephanie sent out to residents who had once expressed interest in a Neighborhood Historic Issues group, so she’s trying to phone each person to determine interest.

  5. New Business

    Todd recommended to rotate agenda items in future meetings so that the New Business item isn’t skipped so often.

  6. Adjournment

    President Reynolds adjourned the meeting at 10:09 PM.


Respectfully submitted,

Armine Perian, Secretary  (ed. SS, TY)


Menu