Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, JULY 8, 2013

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
  3. Approval of Minutes From the Two Previous Regular Board Meetings
  4. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report
    2. Picnic Recap
    3. Membership Committee Report
    4. Newsletter Report
    5. National Night Out Planning
    6. Summer Social Planning
    7. Interest Groups Report
    8. Neighborhood Traffic Calming
    9. Web Site and Nextdoor.com Cross-promotion
  5. New Business
  6. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order

    President Leanne Reynolds called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at 7:15 PM on Monday, July 8 at the home of Director Armine Perian.

  2. Roll Call
    Directors present
    (All) Lyn Foster, Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Armine Hacopian, Bruce Hinckley, Richard Lee, Wendy Myers, Armine Perian, Leanne Reynolds, Stephanie Schus, Beth Volpe, John Wolff, Todd Yvega.
    Directors absent
    (None).
  3. Approval of Minutes From the Two Previous Regular Board Meetings
    • Motion to approve the minutes of the May 13 meeting by Leanne Reynolds.  Seconded by Lyn Foster.
    • Motion to approve the minutes of the March 11 meeting by Leanne Reynolds.  Seconded by Todd Yvega.
  4. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report

      Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      • Cash in bank $18,174.
      • 194 total members.
      • Motion to approve the budget by Stephanie Schus.  Seconded by Bruce Hinckley.
    2. Picnic Recap

      Social Committee Chair Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • Summer picnic attendance estimated at 90.
    3. Membership Committee Report

      Vice President and Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers presented.

      • Few new members after mailing.
      • 4 more members compared to last year at this time.
      • 13 new members joined since Jan 2013.
      • 513 non-members mailed.  Email to 60 non-members.
      • From mailers received 19 new members.  Recommend to repeat mailer next year.
      • Received two more members from picnic.
      • Consider a welcoming committee for new neighbors.
    4. Newsletter Report

      Newsletter Committee Chair Lyn Foster presented.

      • Possibly rabid skunk in backyard.  Will post on Nextdoor.com if confirmed rabid by Pasadena Humane Society.
      • Geraldine Andrews (aka Jeraldine Saunders) to be celebrating 90th birthday in September.  Contacted by TLC Network.  Lyn to write an article on Geraldine as resident profile.
      • Include in Newsletter article on Jackson Bohman — winner of multiple contests at the picnic.
    5. National Night Out Planning

      National Night Out Committee Co-chairs Beth Volpe and Bruce Hinckley presented.

      • Chevy Chase neighborhood contacted Beth for tips.
      • Beth presented site plan.  Will give copies to the owners of the homes where the event will be held.
      • Donations: will take check, pay pal, link on website.
      • Permits complete.
      • Face painter will not charge, but asking for supplies reimbursement.
      • From cash donations, will buy doggie treats for the dog station.
      • Edgar del Rio will donate water.
      • Beth to make banner thanking sponsors.
      • Two registration tables: Will post on Nextdoor.com for volunteers to assist board members.
      • Asking people to bring their own blankets and chairs.
      • Hours: 6:00 - 8:00 PM.
      • Beth to put together a welcome packet for new members.
      • Signs will be placed throughout the neighborhood.
      • PA (Public Address) system is the key issue.  Cheryl Frees-Yvega has the PA system.
      • Will have a final NNO meeting at Lyn Foster’s house on July 23 at 7:00 PM.  All board members and volunteers are welcome.
      • Board has authorized Lyn Foster to have lawn signs printed.
    6. Summer Social Planning

      Social Committee Chair Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • Cheryl to post on Nextdoor.com and to do Constant Contact email blasts.
      • Will include a flyer in the newsletter.
      • Armine Hacopian suggested handing out summer social flyers at the National Night Out event.
      • $25/person — no host bar.  Unanimous consent.  Limited to Members and their guests.
      • Cheryl to ask for help from board members.
    7. Interest Groups Report

      Interest Groups Committee Chair Stephanie Schus presented.

      • Stephanie’s observation: People at social events are rarely signing up for interest groups.
      • Leanne Reynolds suggests starting a dog interest group.
      • Other groups progressing successfully.
    8. Neighborhood Traffic Calming

      President Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Roundabout not feasible for Royal Boulevard because of steep hill.
      • For details refer to traffic calming article in the June Newsletter.
      • Lines will be painted to show where cars can park.
      • Possibility of adding a median strip.
      • Ask city for permission to place cameras.  Subject to be raised at Security meeting.
    9. Web Site and Nextdoor.com Cross-promotion

      Director Stephanie Schus presented.

      Directors Lyn Foster, Todd Yvega and Stephanie Schus met with RCPOA member Raffi Saroyan to discuss how we might best use our website and Nextdoor.com.

      • The RCPOA web site is owned and controlled by the RCPOA whereas Nextdoor.com is a social media site for all residents of the neighborhood hosted by a third party.
        • The RCPOA web site offers a wide range of information about the organization, our neighborhood and useful links re Glendale.
        • The RCPOA’s Nextdoor.com site lets residents interact with one another, post alerts, make or ask for recommendations, etc.
      • Raffi Saroian was very helpful streamlining the promotional flyer encouraging area residents to join RCPOA’s Nextdoor.com social network.  Said flyer was included with the newsletter and posted on the web site.
      • Refer to summary notes attachment from 2013-06-04 meeting re: Nextdoor.com.
  5. New Business
    • Neighborhood Watch & Crime Prevention Meeting July 11.
    • Bruce Hinckley suggested to camouflage-paint the electrical box on the island at the end of Royal Boulevard, or plant something around it.  Leanne Reynolds to incorporate with the neighborhood beautification plan.
    • The next Regular Board Meeting is scheduled for October 14 at the home of Treasurer Richard Lee.
  6. Adjournment

    President Reynolds adjourned the meeting at 9:25 PM.


Respectfully submitted,

Armine Perian, Secretary  (ed. TY)


Menu