Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2013

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
  3. Preliminary Issues
    1. Nominating Committee Report
    2. Report on RCPOA Boundaries Adjacent to Glen Knolls HOA
  4. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting
  5. Open Issues
    1. Summer Social Recap
    2. National Night Out Recap
    3. Treasurer’s Report
    4. Annual Brunch and Business Meeting Planning
    5. Streamlining of the City of Glendale’s Design Review Board
    6. Neighborhood Traffic Calming
    7. Newsletter Report
    8. Web Site / Nextdoor.com / Constant Contact Report
    9. Interest Groups Report
  6. New Business
  7. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order

    President Leanne Reynolds called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at 7:14 PM on Monday, October 14 at the home of Director Richard Lee.

  2. Roll Call
    Directors present
    Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Armine Hacopian, Bruce Hinckley, Richard Lee, Wendy Myers, Armine Perian, Leanne Reynolds, Stephanie Schus, Beth Volpe, John Wolff, Todd Yvega.
    Directors absent
    Lyn Foster.
    Also present
    Barbara Mastro.
  3. Preliminary Issues
    1. Nominating Committee Report

      Nominating Committee Chair John Wolff presented.

      • Nomination of Barbara Mastro to fill the vacancy on the RCPOA Board of Directors.  Bio attached.
      • Motion to approve.  Seconded.  Unanimously approved.
    2. Report on RCPOA Boundaries Adjacent to Glen Knolls HOA

      Webmaster Todd Yvega presented.

      • 13 Orphaned parcels identified on Old Phillips Road and Kildonan Drive.  They are not in the Glen Knolls HOA and are erroneously excluded from the RCPOA.
      • Refer to attachments: page 1, pages 2-3, page 4 and pages 5-7.
      • Proposal by Todd to update the boundaries to match the map on page 6 of the report (the second page of this attachment).
      • Vote on incorporating the 13 orphaned parcels into RCPOA.  Motion to approve by Richard Lee.  Seconded by Barbara Mastro.  Unanimously approved.
      • Wendy Myers to notify homeowners.
  4. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting

    Motion by Bruce Hinckley to approve the minutes of the July 8 meeting.  Seconded.  Unanimously approved.

  5. Open Issues
    1. Summer Social Recap

      Social Committee Chair Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • $142 net cost of event.
      • The new owners of the Phillips Ranch have offered their property for next year’s event (pending completion of the pool) — need a backup plan.
      • Suggestion offered to allow guests to bring their own wine and charge corkage fee of $10 or $15 per bottle at next year’s event.
      • 67 attendants.  69 RSVPed.
    2. National Night Out Recap

      National Night Out Committee Co-chairs Bruce Hinckley and Beth Volpe presented.

      • Kids’ activities were a huge success — already have in place for next year.
      • Trucks did run out of water.
      • $26.00 net cost of event.
      • Cannot re-use signs, the largest expense for the event.
      • Plan to use the same table rental company.
      • Glendale Police Department prefers smaller events throughout the neighborhood instead of one large event.
      • Armine Hacopian suggests for next year to have magic tricks for adults.
      • Consider to obtain TV news coverage next year.
      • Leanne Reynolds to thank Smiths and Bobby.
      • Beth Volpe to thank Don Wilson.
      • Stephanie Schus to thank the Butlers.
      • Consider informing firefighters/police ahead of the event that we would like to treat them to food.  This was offered at this year’s event, but was refused - possibly due to a policy of their departments.
      • It was noted we might not need two food trucks next year, with the suggestion we select the one that is faster in fulfilling people’s orders.
    3. Treasurer’s Report

      Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

    4. Annual Brunch and Business Meeting Planning

      Social Committee Chair Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • Next Annual Brunch and Business Meeting will be held at the Oakmont Country Club on February 1, 2014.  Already reserved.
      • Recommend holding all Annual Business Meetings featuring the Glendale City Council Candidates Forum (even-numbered years) at Oakmont Country Club or another venue within Glendale City limits.  But consider holding it elsewhere in odd-numbered years (i.e. La Cañada Country Club).  It was noted that we would have to change our by-laws to allow for a location outside Glendale city limits.
    5. Streamlining of the City of Glendale’s Design Review Board

      Treasurer and GHCC Delegate Richard Lee presented.

      • Refer to attachments: GHCC Planning Staff Summary, GHCC Zoning Committee Summary, GHCC Comments.
      • Pushing decision-making to staff members for single family residences.
      • Already eliminated one of the review boards.
      • Need to determine what will be considered as “significant” to warrant design board review (i.e., a second floor).
      • Richard to get a list of comments from the GHCC.  RCPOA board members cannot vote by email.
      • John Wolff motioned that RCPOA votes to support GHCC in position of DRB streamlining.  Seconded by Stephanie Schus.  Unanimously approved.
      • As the RCPOA’s GHCC Delegate, Richard can update the board with changes made to the current GHCC position.
      • John Wolff motioned to go back to GHCC to ask the City Council to delay process by at least 30 days and hence vote against motion.  Seconded by Stephanie Schus.  Unanimously approved.
    6. Neighborhood Traffic Calming

      President Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Stop sign on Royal Boulevard has been moved which has helped.
      • Decision not to move stop sign at Arboles Drive.
      • After analyzing statistics of traffic parameters the city concluded: No actions needed for speed control on Greenbriar.  Board members were concerned with this decision, so Leanne will go back to inquire the time of day statistics were gathered, noting residents’ first-hand observation of cars frequently speeding at night (weekends Thursday - Saturday) on Greenbriar.
      • Leanne will also ask why Greenbriar has a 25 mph speed limit vs. a 30 mph speed limit on Royal.  She will bring up the idea of changing the speed limit on Greenbriar to match that on Royal.
    7. Newsletter Report

      President Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Suggest to mention in the newsletter the thank you notes sent from Helena Seltzer’s daughters to Richard and Leanne.
      • Solicit ideas for next speaker at annual meeting.
      • Recap Summer Social and include photos.
      • Add good quotes from Helena.
      • Include update on Traffic Calming initiatives on Royal and Greenbriar.
    8. Web Site / Nextdoor.com / Constant Contact Report

      Webmaster Todd Yvega presented.

      • Todd presented a report of Constant Contact email tracking.  RCPOA far exceeds the industry average for email opens.  See list and graph of RCPOA email blasts sent via Constant Contact.
      • Discussion of Nextdoor.com site name change from “RCPOA” to “Greenbriar” caused by the merging of the “RCPOA” Nextdoor neighborhood with the underpopulated “Greenbriar” Nextdoor neighborhood (in the Glen Knolls area).  Todd suggested that he ask Nextdoor to rename the merged site “Royal and Greenbriar Canyons”.
      • Motion to approve by John Wolff.  Seconded by Leanne Reynolds.  Unanimously approved.
    9. Interest Groups Report

      Interest Groups Committee Chair Stephanie Schus presented.

      • Not having a yard sale this year.  Dan Cabrera has stepped down as Area Yard/Garage Sale Committee Chair, so a new chairman is needed.
      • Gardening Group continues to meet regularly (except during the hot summer months).
      • Book club reading 16th book.
      • Parents’ group — topped at 12.  Gina Vadurro Seifert sends out emails about family activities in the area, but the group is no longer trying to schedule Play Dates.
      • Leanne Reynolds organizing Bow Wow Group.
      • Neighbor has suggested Music Group for neighborhood musicians to get together to play.
      • Cooking Groups — might have a third group if enough interest.
      • Will draft a letter to send out via Constant Contact about RCPOA’s Interest Groups, ask people if they want to participate and solicit ideas for additional groups.  Wendy Myers liked this idea, as it could help membership drive.
  6. New Business
    • Leanne Reynolds suggests establishing a Communications Committee.  Currently Todd Yvega handles much of that.
    • Send attachments to Todd Yvega — email documents presented at each meeting to Todd before the next meeting so he can attach them to the minutes.
    • Leanne Reynolds announced that city has a budget to paint utility boxes.  Need to investigate with city council to decorate.  Bruce to follow up with city.
    • Next meeting scheduled for Monday, December 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM at Lyn Foster’s home.
    • December meeting agenda to include discussion about possible changes to the RCPOA by-laws and a possible name change for the association.
    • Leanne Reynolds also asked Board members to submit ideas for a speaker at our next Annual Meeting.
  7. Adjournment

    President Reynolds adjourned the meeting at 9:40 PM.


Respectfully submitted,

Armine Perian, Secretary  (ed. SS, TY)


Menu