Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, JULY 14, 2014

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
  3. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting
  4. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report
    2. Recap of Family Picnic
    3. National Night Out Committee Report
    4. Summer Social Planning
    5. Newsletter Report
    6. Web Site/Constant Contact Report
    7. Membership Committee Report
    8. Interest Groups Report
  5. New Business
    1. Utility Box Mural Program
    2. Formation of By-laws Review Committee
    3. Item for Next Regular Board Meeting Agenda
  6. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order

    President Leanne Reynolds called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at approximately 7:00 PM on Monday, July 14 at the home of Director Lyn Foster.

  2. Roll Call
    Directors present
    Lyn Foster, Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Bruce Hinckley, Richard Lee, Barbara Mastro, Wendy Myers, Armine Perian, Leanne Reynolds, Stephanie Schus, Beth Volpe, Todd Yvega.
    Directors absent
    Armine Hacopian, John Wolff.
    Note taker
    Armine Perian.
  3. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting
    • A distribution problem resulted in most members not receiving the draft of the May 12 regular Board meeting minutes.
    • Motion by Barbara Mastro to table the approval of said minutes until the next meeting.  Seconded.  Motion carried unanimously.
  4. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report

      Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      • Refer to the attached Treasurer’s Report.
      • $19,100 cash account balance.
      • Total membership: 225.
      • Motion by Lyn Foster to approve the treasury report.  Second by Cheryl Frees-Yvega.  Motion carried unanimously.
    2. Recap of Family Picnic

      Social Committee Chair Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • Extensive discussion re: this Hawaiian-themed event, with all agreeing that it was a great Success!
      • Attendance was estimated between 80 and 90 residents, including kids.
      • Cheryl felt the theme definitely contributed to the fun of the picnic and only $112 was needed to support the theme.
      • Eliminating the “Bouncy House” also eliminated the need for a permit.
      • There were lots of great activities for the kids, thanks to help from Gina Vadurro Seifert and Tina Parsegian.
      • The talented face painter was a particular success.
      • Cheryl said she’d welcome different theme ideas for next year’s picnic.
    3. National Night Out Committee Report

      National Night Out Committee Chairs Beth Volpe presented.

      • Bruce Hinckley noted that Beth Volpe is now chairing this committee and he is serving as a committee member.
      • Only 3 front lawns will be used this year vs. 4 in previous years.  No-one saw this as a problem.
      • Lyn Foster showed us the sign she designed, which met with everyone’s approval.  It features the phrase Bruce had suggested, “The Power of Community”, and a red/white/blue color scheme.
      • The next National Night Out Committee meeting will be held on Monday, July 21.  All Board members are invited.
      • Silviya Karapetian will handle and sponsor the children’s area.
      • Two food trucks will be there: a taco truck and a shaved ice/ice cream truck.
      • Debbie Hinckley will handle sign-ins and have membership forms to hand out when appropriate.
      • Wendy Myers reported that she and Mike attended the Glendale Police Department’s National Night Out meeting and felt that their presence representing the RCPOA was well noted and suggested our association would be wise to always have a presence at these meetings.  They put in a strong pitch to have a K-9 dog at our neighborhood National Night Out event.
      • The NNO will be updated on our website and an email will go out via Constant Contact.
    4. Summer Social Planning

      Social Committee Chair Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • Because the renovation at the “Old Phillips Ranch” will not be completed in time, this year’s Summer Social will be held at the home of Armine and Vahe Hacopian.
      • Will occur on September 14.
      • Armine, our hostess, wishes it to be an elegant affair.
      • Will need valet services — about $300.
      • Considering a “Mad Men” theme.
      • Attendees are welcome to bring their own wine if they prefer.  A $10 corkage fee was generally noted as common, but the Summer Social Committee would make the final decision.
      • Menu: Prime rib or fish, vegetables.
      • Cheryl said that given the added expenses of valet and a few other higher costs, we need to raise the event fee in order to approach breakeven.  Depending on the confirmed costs, per-person tickets would have to be in the $25 to $40 range.  Cheryl will verify catering cost before final decision on event fee.
      • Consider raising funds by holding a 50/50 raffle.
      • Motion by Bruce Hinckley to allow the Summer Social Committee to set the price per person so as to not exceed a loss of $350.00.  Seconded by Lyn Foster.  Motion carried unanimously.
      • Wendy Myers suggested we promote the Summer Social at NNO, especially since Cheryl noted it helps the event bottom line to have over 70 people.  (The Hacopians can accommodate up to 100.)
    5. Newsletter Report

      Newsletter Committee Chair Lyn Foster presented.

      • Will recap National Night Out and the Family Picnic, and promote the upcoming Summer Social.
      • Leanne said she wrote an article on the Bow Wow Club.  Stephanie will send Lyn info about the Interest Groups.
      • Lyn needs to get the newsletter to the printer by August 8 to make sure it gets to homes a good 3 weeks before the Summer Social.  Therefore any proposed content for the newsletter should be submitted by August 1.
      • Richard strongly recommended the inclusion of a pre-addressed envelope to go with the insert promoting the Summer Social.
      • Since we have several hundred envelopes already, these can be inserted and Richard could provide response rates from previous years comparing those from when we had envelopes and when we didn’t, as well as statistics for online payment.  Stephanie had suggested running a simple test, having the mailer insert an envelope into half the newsletters, which would provide a way to calculate the economic worth, but this was deemed too complicated.
    6. Web Site/Constant Contact Report

      Web Master Todd Yvega presented.

      • Leanne Reynolds recommended routinely making two Constant Contact announcements per event; An initial “save the date” and a reminder about a week later.
      • John Wolff to verify that every current Board member is on the Board email redirection list.
      • Motion by Leanne Reynolds that she and Todd Yvega should meet with John Wolff separately to discuss the possibility of hosting our Mail Transfer Agent on the RCPOA’s web server.  Seconded by Lyn Foster.  Motion carried unanimously.
    7. Membership Committee Report

      Vice President and Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers presented.

      • Leanne Reynolds suggested that each board member should approach 3 homeowners about joining.  Wendy asked that we notify her as to whom we plan to approach.
    8. Interest Groups Report

      Interest Groups Committee Chair Stephanie Schus presented.

      • The Big News is our new Interest Group, the Bow Wow Club, which Leanne spearheaded.  10 household “groups” plus 13 dogs met for its 1st get-together on 7/12 at Crescenta Valley Dog Park.  Lezle Stein, a professional dog trainer, provided useful tips and information to the group.  RCPOA will pick up her $100 fee.  Ideas for future meetings and other organizational details TBD.
      • Bruce Hinckley mentioned that the Glendale police K-9 unit parade will be held in one of the parks on October 9 (or thereabouts) which should be of interest to this group.
      • Stephanie suggested for next year’s budget, we might add a $300 allocation for Interest Groups to use.
      • Gardening group has been meeting regularly for 3 years (since May 2011).  Members have been emailed the schedule and meeting topics for the remainder of the year.
      • Two Cooking Clubs enjoy themed feasts every 6 – 8 weeks.
      • Parents group has provided RCPOA’s National Night Out event and Family Picnic with volunteers who have run terrific children’s activities.  Gina Vadurro Seifert is hoping more people in the group will help with emailing activities of area family-friendly activities from time to time.
      • Bruce pitched the idea of a Restaurant Interest Group.
  5. New Business
    1. Utility Box Mural Program

      Bruce noted the City of Glendale’s Utility Box Mural program and suggested we compliment the city on this and ask if the utility boxes in our neighborhood could be included.  Stephanie said she thinks it would be great to get a resident who is an artist to do this and had acquired an application form from the city and would send it to at least one artist she knows in our neighborhood.

    2. Formation of By-laws Review Committee

      Stephanie noted we had previously spoken of the need to update our by-laws and suggested that our new Parliamentarian Barbara Mastro should head this effort.  Barbara agreed to form a committee of other members of the Board to review proposed changes to the by-laws.

    3. Item for Next Regular Board Meeting Agenda

      Stephanie asked that at our next meeting we put the idea of sponsoring single-topic programs as RCPOA events on the agenda.

  6. Adjournment

    President Reynolds adjourned the meeting at 9:02 PM.


Respectfully submitted,

Armine Perian, Secretary  (ed. SS, TY)


Menu