Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, JULY 13, 2015

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call
  2. Recap of Parliamentary Procedure
  3. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting
  4. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report
    2. Membership Committee Report
    3. Picnic Recap
    4. National Night Out Committee Report
    5. Recess
    6. Summer Social Planning
    7. Armenian American Museum and Cultural Center
    8. Newsletter Report
    9. Interest Groups Report
  5. New Business
  6. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call

    President Cheryl Frees-Yvega called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at 7:05 PM on Monday, July 13 at the home of Director Bruce Hinckley, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present.

    Directors present
    Lyn Foster, Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Armine Hacopian, Bruce Hinckley, Richard Lee, Barbara Mastro, Wendy Myers, Armine Perian, Leanne Reynolds, Beth Volpe, Todd Yvega.
    Directors absent
    John Wolff, Tina Parsegian.
  2. Recap of Parliamentary Procedure

    ~7:05 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

    Five directors in attendance at this meeting were not present for the Overview of Parliamentary Procedure presented at the May 5 Board meeting.  Accordingly, Cheryl gave a recap of that presentation for those directors.

  3. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting

    ~7:08 PM

    The minutes of the May 5 Regular Board Meeting had been distributed to the Board prior to this meeting.  The President asked the Board for any corrections.  None were offered.  The minutes are approved as distributed.

    After the approval the Secretary noticed two references to “Monday, May 5” which should have been “Tuesday, May 5”.  These have been corrected.

  4. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report

      ~7:09 PM — Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      Richard distributed the following documents to the Board, and reviewed them for the directors in attendance.

      • Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results for the period May 5 through July 13, 2015 (attached)
      • Financial Results for the Tenth Annual Summer Picnic (attached)
      • RCPOA Budget for 2015 (attached)
      • National Night Out Profit and Loss Statement (attached)

      Questions asked during Richard’s presentation of the Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results:

      • Bruce Hinckley: PayPal balance and transfers from PayPal to RCPOA bank account.
      • Leanne Reynolds: Is PayPal worthwhile?
      • Beth Volpe: National Night Out contributions.

      Recognition of director Leanne Reynolds for her tenth year of funding most of the RCPOA Family Picnic budget through her generous endowment of $1,000 each year.

    2. Membership Committee Report

      ~7:28 PM — Vice President and Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers presented.

      • Wendy intends to visit non-member households before National Night Out partly to make prospective members aware of that event and of the Summer Social.
      • Wendy asked director Barbara Mastro for help since she (Wendy) will be out of town for nearly a month.
      • Wendy brought up the need for a decision about if and when to offer ahead of the Summer Social a “Late in the Year” Special covering dues for the remainder of this year and all of next year.  Webmaster Todd Yvega explained that the site does this automatically on a programmed date, and that each year he coordinates with Newsletter Editor Lyn Foster to set that date to the day the newsletter is expected to be delivered to households.

      Floor opened for questions and comments:

      • Barbara Mastro asked if there is a plan to do an “aggressive” membership sign-up campaign at the National Night Out event.  She suggested that each person handling sign-ins for name tags be accompanied by a partner to pitch membership.  Wendy explained that Debbie Hinckley is in charge of the sign-ins at NNO and that she will work with Debbie to implement such a plan.
    3. Picnic Recap

      ~7:33 PM — President Frees-Yvega congratulated the picnic co-chairs and their volunteers.  She pointed out that in the days prior to the event one co-chair was hospitalized, the other had been bitten by something venomous and was effectively incapacitated by doctor’s orders, and volunteer Stephanie Schus suffered a substantial leg injury.  Despite all this, the picnic was so well executed that no-one attending it would have known there had been such problems.

      ~7:35 PM — Picnic Committee Co-Chair Armine Hacopian presented.

      Feedback from this year’s picnic:

      • Leanne Reynolds: The only available protein was overly spicy.

      Suggestions for next year’s picnic:

      • Armine would like to do something different for next year, suggesting live music.  Discussion followed about the City’s permit disallowing amplified sound, and the preponderance of parties at the park that violate that rule.
      • Leanne Reynolds said she heard back from Rebecca Gibb, who now lives at the Phillips Ranch, regarding the availability of that property for an event.  Leanne suggests that we consider utilizing the property as a picnic location.
      • Leanne Reynolds: Family Portraits.
      • Armine Hacopian: A petting zoo for the kids.
    4. National Night Out Committee Report

      ~7:44 PM — National Night Out Committee Chair Beth Volpe presented.

      • NNO meeting occurred June 1.
      • Silviya Karapetian will handle children’s activities again this year.
      • Lyn Foster took care of the signs which will go up in Friday.
      • Different food trucks this year (focused on faster service—not cooking on site) and they’ve waived the minimum requirement.
      • Leanne Reynolds asked if the homeowners have been contacted about the specific date.  Beth said she doesn’t know them.  Leanne volunteered to contact them with the information since she has communicated with them before.
      • 100 Chairs and 12 banquet tables rented.  Larger tables for the sign-in tables.
      • Beth reports having gotten no response from Greg Andrews regarding his duty to man the Neighborhood Watch table.  Cheryl Frees-Yvega said she has been in touch with him and that he’s prepared.
      • Lyn Foster asked Bruce if he could convince the Police to bring the K-9s.
      • Armine Hacopian said she might be able to get the Glendale Community College’s fire truck to make an appearance.
    5. Recess

      ~8:01 PM — President Frees-Yvega called a ten minute recess.

      ~8:11 PM — President Frees-Yvega called the meeting back to order.

    6. Summer Social Planning

      ~8:12 PM — Social Committee Chair Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Will occur at the home of Lyn Foster and Glenn Webb.
      • Schedule:
        • Social Hour.
        • Special event: Putting Course Contest.
        • Dinner.
        • A live band (not background music but featured entertainment).
      • $30 per person.
      • Corkage fee.

      ~8:14 PM — Director Lyn Foster (host of the event) presented the Special Event (Putting Course Contest).

      • A putting green has been newly installed in the canyon extending into the hills from the back of the house.
      • $5.00 to enter.  Participants can enter as many times as they wish.
      • Prize for the winner.

      ~8:16 PM — Leanne Reynolds resumed her presentation.

      • Attire: Country club casual.
      • Steak and shrimp scampi.
    7. Armenian American Museum and Cultural Center

      ~8:18 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • Due to lackluster funding the building size has been scaled down from ~33 to ~20 square feet, and may be built up in phases.
      • The Landmark Subcommittee is behind on their outreach because of summer vacations and the involvement of 19 other committees.
      • The page on the RCPOA website about the museum was visited 126 times between 6-21 and 67-13 averaging between 5 and 6 hits per day.
      • The AGCC is not expected to meet all milestones by the time their exclusive negotiating agreement with the city expires in November, so they will likely need to extend the agreement.

      Floor opened for questions and comments:

      • As stated by Phil Lanzafame, Director of Economic Development, at the meeting at the church: Something will be going up there, whether it’s the museum or something else.
      • General pandemonium ensued.
      • Bruce Hinckley suggested responding to those who filled out the form in the newsletter requesting to be informed when museum-related meetings are scheduled.
    8. Newsletter Report

      ~8:37 PM — Newsletter Committee Chair Lyn Foster presented.

      • The June 2015 newsletter had an 8 page format rather than the usual 4 pages plus a double-sided insert.
      • Lyn presented an analysis (attached showing that the 8 page format didn’t cost much more ($943.39 vs. $855.80).
      • Lessons learned: Harvey printing stapled the two sheets together at the spine fold.  Due to post office regulations, this prevented Joyce The Mailing Lady from being able to include a return envelope.
      • Lyn listed the articles she intends to include in the upcoming newsletter.
      • Cheryl Frees-Yvega asked Lyn if there would be an article about what the City has done (and will be doing) with the triangular median at the bottom of Royal Boulevard.  This effectively ended Lyn’s presentation and led to open discussion about the City’s turf removal program, its “Brown is the new Green” slogan and the painting of the local utility boxes.

      ~8:46 PM — City turf removal program / Utility Box Painting

      • Cheryl read a correspondence former Director Stephanie Schus had with Atineh Haroutunian, (Public Benefits Coordinator, City of Glendale), which described the City’s turf removal program.
      • Bruce Hinckley suggests that the RCPOA should develop a plan to coordinate the planting and the subsequent painting of utility boxes as one project with a desired outcome.  Contact the City and ask to see the plans for what will be planted in the median.
      • Leanne Reynolds pointed out that the median is the gateway to our community and it should look good.
      • Cheryl explained to the Board that she had contacted Chuck Wike (Community Relations Manager, City of Glendale) regarding the utility boxes and recounted what she learned from that conversation.  Most importantly, it turns out that most of the utility boxes in the median and most around the neighborhood are not owned by the City, so RCPOA would have to do research to determine who owns them to seek permission to paint them.
      • Of the boxes owned by the City, if they’re painted through the City’s Utility Box Mural program program, we won’t have any input into what is painted on them.  We will be at the mercy of the artist.
      • Leanne said she would arrange a personal meeting meet with City Manager Scott Ochoa to address these issues.
    9. Interest Groups Report

      ~8:58 PM — Director Bruce Hinckley presented the attached report of Interest Groups Committee Chair Stephanie Schus.

  5. New Business

    The new business, City Turf Removal Program and Utility Box Painting, had already been discussed during the Newsletter Report.

  6. Adjournment

    The meeting adjourned at 9:03 PM.


Todd Yvega, Secretary


Menu