Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2015

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call
  2. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting
  3. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report
    2. Membership Committee Report
    3. Summer Social Recap
    4. Annual Business Meeting
    5. Recess
    6. Armenian American Museum and Cultural Center
      1. Public Unveiling
      2. “Town Hall”-style meeting
      3. Open discussion
    7. Newsletter Planning
    8. Interest Groups Report
  4. New Business
    1. Triangular Median Landscaping
    2. Signage Needed at Intersection of Mountain and Royal
    3. Dilapidated Houses
  5. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call

    President Cheryl Frees-Yvega called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at 7:00 PM on Monday, October 12 at her home, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present.

    Directors present
    Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Bruce Hinckley, Richard Lee, Barbara Mastro, Wendy Myers, Leanne Reynolds, Beth Volpe, John Wolff, Todd Yvega.
    Directors absent
    Lyn Foster, Armine Hacopian, Armine Perian, Tina Parsegian.
  2. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting

    The Secretary reported that the draft minutes of the July 13 Regular Board Meeting were initially distributed to the Board on July 16.  After corrections were submitted a revision was distributed to the Board on August 11.  That revision was redistributed to the Board without further modification on October 8.  The Secretary asked the Board for any corrections.  One correction was offered.  The minutes are approved as corrected.

  3. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report

      ~7:02 PM — Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      Richard distributed the following documents to the Board, and reviewed them for the directors in attendance.

      • Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results for the period July 13 through October 12, 2015 (attached)
      • Financial Results of the 2015 National Night Out event (attached)
      • Financial Results of the 2015 Summer Social (attached)
      • RCPOA Budget for 2015 (attached)
      • Richard announced that he is using a new format for the Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results, aimed at making them more concise and transparent.  New sections for “Adjustments” and “Event Results” have been inserted between “Cash Account Summary” and “Income”.
      • Leanne Reynolds and Beth Volpe suggested that future financial reports include statistics on membership sign-ups at events.  Richard said, “duly noted.”
      • Vigen Ghazarian won the 50/50 raffle and donated his $180 winnings to the RCPOA.  Leanne Reynolds will send him a thank you card.
      • The Summer Social this year profited $633.85, exceeding profit/loss from the previous 6 years.

      ~7:02 PM — Cheryl Frees-Yvega opened the floor for discussion about the possibility of earmarking funds from profit-making events for use by events that rely solely on donations.

      • Richard Lee, Bruce Hinckley and John Wolff advised that we avoid incurring the accounting complexity of maintaining separate buckets, and that funds should be kept in the general treasury and event budgets can be adjusted according to need (as is our current practice).
      • No action was taken and the status quo stands.
    2. Membership Committee Report

      ~7:28 PM — Vice President and Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers presented.

      • Due to the recent 100 degree heat Wendy hasn’t gone out as much to make house calls to prospective members.
      • Wendy had stated during the Treasurer’s Report that most non-members when signing in at the National Night Out event opt to pay dues and become members on the spot.
    3. Summer Social Recap

      ~7:29 PM — Social Committee Chair Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Leanne thought perhaps there were so many activities that they competed, and asked the opinion of the Board.  All who responded indicated complete satisfaction with the number of activities.
      • Rebecca Gibb, the new co-owner of the Phillips Ranch, has offered her property as a possible Summer Social site.  Leanne plans to approach Rebecca about hosting the 2016 Summer Social.
      • Probable back-up plan: Brad and Valerie Nelson’s home at 1524 Majestic Way.
      • Many people liked the band.  Leanne would like to add dancing.
    4. Annual Business Meeting

      ~7:40 PM — Social Committee Chair Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Leanne expects to hold the event at the Oakmont Country Club as usual.
      • Leanne’s theme for the event is “Fire and Water” as it will feature presentations by the new Glendale Fire Chief Greg Fish and a high level official from Glendale Water & Power.
      • This theme may include a suggestion made by John Wolff at a prior meeting to have insurance vendors explain why we’re in a fire zone.
      • Cheryl asked Leanne to present finalized details at the December 8 Board meeting that can be printed in the subsequent newsletter (submission deadline December 12) to advertise the event.
    5. Recess

      ~7:44 PM — President Frees-Yvega called a ten minute recess.

      ~7:54 PM — President Frees-Yvega called the meeting back to order.

    6. Armenian American Museum and Cultural Center

      ~7:54 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      1. Public Unveiling
        • The Museum Governing Board will meet on Wednesday of this week to choose a design and architect.
        • The Landmark Subcommittee plans to unveil the design to the City Council and to the public at the October 27 or November 3 City Council session.
        • Leanne Reynolds suggests a Nextdoor.com and Constant Contact announcement to inform residents about the public unveiling at the City Council once it is scheduled.
      2. “Town Hall”-style meeting
        • Lorna Vartanian (President of Rossmoyne Mountain Homeowners Association) and Mirna Stanley (President of Verdugo Woodlands West Homeowners Association) both want a joint meeting with the Landmark Subcommittee after the unveiling, to be attended by their respective members and RCPOA members.
        • Cheryl has contacted Darlene Sanchez (Principal Economic Development Officer, City of Glendale) about the possibility of holding the meeting at the Civic Center.
        • Other nearby homeowners groups are also affected such as the Glenn Knolls HOA.
      3. Open discussion
        • Bruce Hinckley: We need to obtain a timetable of milestones (i.e., from due dates for environmental studies to construction).
        • Leanne Reynolds: What is the approval process?
        • Bruce Hinckley: Simultaneously we need to get the plans of the Glendale Community College, as their plans for growth or even just increasing the number of students should be factored into traffic studies.
        • Leanne Reynolds asked, “What is the City’s plan for the parking lot and the Civic Center?”  Cheryl explained that due to the Exclusive Negotiating Agreement between the Glendale City Council and the AGCC, the City will not talk about any potential plans for this property until the agreement expires.
        • Leanne Reynolds: The three homeowners groups should have a uniform position.
        • Bruce Hinckley: As previously stated, we need to establish, “what is their plan?”  But in the interim we should form a coalition with the surrounding homeowners groups, from which we can form committees to study various aspects of not only the museum’s plans but the expansion plans of the GCC.

        Cheryl brought the discussion to a close stating that after the town hall meeting we’ll look into forming a coalition with the surrounding homeowners groups and perhaps establish a unified position.

    7. Newsletter Planning

      ~8:18 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented on behalf of Newsletter Editor Lyn Foster (not present).

      • The next newsletter will likely be mailed the first week of January, so we’ll be able to discuss it again at the December Board meeting.
      • In previous newsletters we have printed invitations to residents to provide feedback or submit ideas for future newsletter content.  Cheryl is disappointed that no response has been received.

      Cheryl asked for suggestions for the next newsletter.

      • John Wolff proposed that the RCPOA state that it is in favor of artificial grass, as the City denies its use in hilly zones.
        • Bruce Hinckley: Suggests finding someone knowledgeable about artificial grass to explain the reasons the city rejects it.
        • Leanne suggested that one of the “Fire and Water” guest speakers could address this at the Annual Member Business Meeting and Brunch.
      • Beth Volpe suggested featuring what someone in the neighborhood has done with their landscaping to reduce water consumption.
        • Barbara Mastro suggested featuring Angela Kohan who has undertaken an immense landscaping project.  Cheryl asked Barbara to pursue that with Angela and to coordinate with Lyn Foster.
    8. Interest Groups Report

      ~8:23 PM — Director Barbara Mastro presented the report of Interest Groups Committee Chair Stephanie Schus (not present).

      • Barbara chose to omit parts of the report.  The report (as read) is attached.
      • The Gourmet Cooking Group does not want their meetings to be announced on the RCPOA website’s calendar, as there is no room for new members.  The Gourmet Cooking Group will post the date, time, theme, location and host on Nextdoor.com after each meeting.
      • Bruce Hinckley suggested that there should be a waiting list so that if enough people wish to join a cooking group a new one can be formed.
      • Stephanie would like to post Nextdoor.com and Constant Contact reminders to residents about the Interest Groups and to ask for new interest group ideas.
      • Bruce suggested a “Work At Home” group.
  4. New Business

    ~8:23 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega asked if there is any new business.

    1. Triangular Median Landscaping

      Brought by Bruce Hinckley.

      Background: On May 6 Stephanie Schus wrote to Atineh Haroutunian, Public Benefits Coordinator for the City of Glendale, about this issue.  On June 10 Atineh responded with an explanation that the condition of the median was temporary and that, “We will return at a later phase to plant these medians with a drought tolerant plant pallet[sic].”

      • Cheryl Frees-Yvega will contact Stephanie to ask her to reestablish contact with Atineh and ask for a timeline.
    2. Signage Needed at Intersection of Mountain and Royal

      Brought by Leanne Reynolds.

      Background: There is no signage on eastbound East Mountain Street where it splits at the triangular median to indicate that those wishing to connect to Royal Boulevard will not veer to the right like the rest of the traffic.  This causes a dangerously high risk of rear-end collisions.  Leanne and Lorena Parker co-chair the Neighborhood Issues & Projects Committee which has handled Neighborhood Traffic Calming issues since 2012.

      • Leanne will call Lorena Parker to investigate tasking the Neighborhood Issues & Projects Committee to address this problem.
    3. Dilapidated Houses

      Brought by Beth Volpe.

      There are a couple unoccupied dilapidated houses in the neighborhood — one on Las Flores Drive and another on Puebla Drive.  Beth will take photographs and email them to all Board members.

  5. Adjournment

    The meeting adjourned at 8:42 PM.


Todd Yvega, Secretary


Menu