Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, MARCH 14, 2016

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call
  2. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting
  3. Open Issues
    1. Nominating Committee Report
    2. Treasurer’s Report
    3. Calendar of Events for 2016
    4. Recap of Annual Member Business Meeting
    5. Recess
    6. Neighborhood Watch
    7. Membership Committee Report
    8. Museum Update
    9. Newsletter Report
  4. New Business
    1. “Meet the Hinckleys” edition of Glendale Hills Living magazine
    2. Utility Users Tax
    3. Triangular Median Landscaping
    4. Glendale Police Foundation Awards Luncheon
  5. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call

    ~7:01 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at the home of Director Armine Perian, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present.

    Directors present
    Lyn Foster, Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Armine Hacopian, Bruce Hinckley, Richard Lee, Barbara Mastro, Wendy Myers, Armine Perian, Leanne Reynolds, Beth Volpe, John Wolff, Todd Yvega.
    Directors absent
    Tina Parsegian.
  2. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting

    ~7:01 PM —

    • The minutes of the December 08, 2015 Regular Board Meeting had been distributed to the Board on Jan 17 and again on Feb 29.  The Secretary asked the Board for any corrections.  No corrections were offered.  The minutes are approved as distributed.
    • The minutes of the February 06, 2016 Annual Member Business Meeting had been distributed to the Board on Feb 27 and again on Feb 29.  The Secretary asked the Board for any corrections.  No corrections were offered.  The minutes are approved as distributed.
    • The minutes of the February 08, 2016 Special Board Meeting had been distributed to the Board on Feb 28, and redistributed with a correction on Mar 11.  The Secretary asked the Board for any corrections.  No corrections were offered.  The minutes are approved as distributed.
  3. Open Issues
    1. Nominating Committee Report

      ~7:04 PM — Nominating Committee Chair John Wolff presented.

      • John gave the Nominating Committee’s recommendation that all four officers be reelected for another one-year term.

      John Wolff motioned that the Board elect the current officers to serve for another year.  Lyn Foster seconded.  The motion carried unanimously.

    2. Treasurer’s Report

      ~7:08 PM — Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      • Richard distributed the following documents to the Board, and reviewed them for the directors in attendance.
        • Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results for the period Jan 1 through Mar 14, 2016 (attached)
        • Comparative Financial Results of the Annual Member Business Meetings 2004 through 2016 (attached)
        • RCPOA Budget for 2016 (attached)
      • Bruce Hinckley asked why there was a $164.45 loss for the Annual Member Business Meeting and Breakfast.  Leanne Reynolds explained the loss was because we had 9 guests whom we comped.  Normally we only comp the guest speaker or forum moderator, but we had several speakers at this event as well as the Mayor and two other City Council members.
      • Armine Hacopian commended Richard for his work as Treasurer.
      • We had a very strong attendance at the Annual Member Business meeting considering that is was an even-numbered year’s event which does not feature the City Council Candidates Forum.
      • Discussion of RCPOA’s 990 501(c)(4) tax return.
      • Armine Hacopian suggested that for future financial reports the pages of the documents should be numbered.

      ~7:29 PM — John Wolff moved to accept the financial report.  Lyn Foster seconded.  The motion carried unanimously.

    3. Calendar of Events for 2016

      ~7:29 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • The dates of events and dependent email blasts and newsletter deadlines are already determined.
      • Volunteers to host Board meetings:
        • May 9 — Beth Volpe
        • July 11 — (tentative) Armine Hacopian; (backups) Lyn Foster or Bruce Hinckley
        • October 10 — Leanne Reynolds
        • December 12 — Armine Perian
      • Due to the recent increase in burglaries the Board agreed not to host an Area Garage Sale this year.
      • “Western” picnic theme.
      • Most dates are earlier than usual this year.
      • The 2017 Annual Business Meeting and Breakfast is scheduled for the second week of February rather than the first to allow sufficient time to invite the City Council candidates and await responses.  The final day for candidates to file the requisite forms with the City is January 24.

      ~7:38 PM — John Wolff moved to approve the budget.  Cheryl Frees-Yvega seconded.  The motion carried unanimously.

    4. Recap of Annual Member Business Meeting

      ~7:39 PM — Social Chair Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • The Oakmont Country Club has a Children’s play room.  Leanne suggests that we might utilize it to make it easier for parents with small children to attend.
      • Leanne praised Dr. Viar’s presentation and that his actions show him to be a partner with the community.  Armine suggested granting Dr. Viar an honorary membership.
      • Armine’s mention of honorary membership prompted Cheryl to announce her idea of granting honorary membership to the residents of the adjacent neighborhoods who were active along with the RCPOA with the issue of the location of the Armenian America Museum.  No action taken.
    5. Recess

      ~7:45 PM — President Frees-Yvega called a ten minute recess.

      ~7:56 PM — President Frees-Yvega called the meeting back to order.

    6. Neighborhood Watch

      ~7:56 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • There has been a significant increase in burglaries and other crime in the area recently.
      • Cheryl and others have urged Neighborhood Watch Committee Chair Greg Andrews to arrange a neighborhood meeting with the Police Department as offered and encouraged by Chief Castro.  But said meeting has not occurred.
      • Bruce Hinckley explained that the police department has abandoned its community-based policing model as Area Commanders in some areas were overwhelmed while others had little to do.
      • Cheryl asked if someone on the Board can coordinate a neighborhood meeting with the Police Department, targeted for April (approximately one month from now) preferably on a Wednesday or Thursday evening.  Topics should include crime trends, expected response times, what neighbors should look for and when they should call the Police.
        • Armine Hacopian said she could probably arrange for a place to meet at the College.
        • Leanne Reynolds said she would make the calls to Cheryl’s Police Department contacts.
      • Discussion regarding the possibility of converting to a gated community.
      • Discussion about letting vendors of home security products have a booth at the National Night Out event (perhaps for a fee).
      • Leanne suggested that at the April neighborhood meeting with the Police Department, we’ll learn who is interested and committed, and perhaps we’ll find someone who will step up and Chair a Neighborhood Watch Committee.
    7. Membership Committee Report

      ~8:15 PM — Vice President and Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers presented.

      • Wendy has presently been calling on former members who haven’t renewed.  She has 129 still to contact.  Almost everyone she approaches renews.
      • Wendy learned that many residents did not see the renewal form in the newsletter.  It was on the back of the Annual Meeting and Breakfast RSVP flyer and since they weren’t planning to attend they tossed it.
      • Wendy recommends a separate “dues are due” mailing in the form of an envelope with a tear-off invoice.  It may be that people are inclined to ignore a printed letter but will give attention to something resembling a bill.
      • Once she finishes with the un-renewed members, Wendy will start approaching residents who are Nextdoor.com members, reasoning that their presence on Nextdoor indicates an interest in the neighborhood.
      • There are about 30 addresses in the master residents spreadsheet for which we don’t know who lives there.  Todd Yvega will send the list to Leanne Reynolds.  She may be able to determine who lives there through G & C Properties’ Title Rep.
    8. Museum Update

      ~8:21 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • At the last City Council meeting the council proposed entering a new NDA for the museum to be on the current Central Park plot in the Arts and Entertainment district, and in so doing nullifying the existing NDA for Lot 31.
      • Cheryl wishes to give the museum group time to do their due diligence in considering the City’s offer, and she believes the museum group is likely to ultimately accept it.
      • Mayor Najarian and Berdj Karapetian have each asked for RCPOA’s support if the museum project moves to this new location.
      • Cheryl recounted some of the objections she has heard from a few people in other neighborhoods about the museum project’s move or about the new location.
      • Cheryl proposes donating to the museum the remainder of the funds the Board had earmarked for its land use attorney.
      • It will continue to be important for residents to elect people to the GCC Board of Trustees who are motivated to be sensitive to the surrounding neighborhoods, especially if the College purchases the Civic Auditorium.
    9. Newsletter Report

      ~8:40 PM — Newsletter Committee Chair Lyn Foster presented.

      • April 11th deadline for submissions

      Suggestions:

      • Themed to match the upcoming picnic.
      • Museum Update article.
      • Armine Hacopian suggested that GCCD Superintendent/President Dr. Viar might write an article.
      • New Policing program (no longer community oriented).  Bruce Hinckley will provide a contact at the Police Department who can give very precise facts.
      • Article about the UUT (Utility Users Tax).
      • Article featuring the Women’s Civic League.  Future newsletters can feature similar groups.
      • Interest Groups.
      • Leanne suggested a brief article accompanied with a photo of Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers explaining something to the effect of “If you’re not a member or haven’t renewed, expect to see her at your door soon.”
  4. New Business
    1. “Meet the Hinckleys” edition of Glendale Hills Living magazine

      ~8:47 PM

    2. Utility Users Tax

      ~8:50 PM — Cheryl Frees-Yvega asked Bruce Hinckley (as President of the Glendale Police Foundation) to brief the board on the UUT ballot measure.

      • There is a measure on the June ballot to repeal the Utility Users Tax.  $17 million are transferred annually from the UUT into the City’s general fund.  With the police department being the largest department in the City, if the City were to reduce each department’s budget pro rata, the City would have to dissolve the Police Department and contract with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s department.
      • Bruce had a discussion about this with the City Manager, who articulated that what will likely happen is that budget cuts will not be made on a pro rata basis, but rather on the basis of how essential each service is.
    3. Triangular Median Landscaping

      ~9:02 PM — Brought by Lyn Foster.

      • Words spontaneously uttered when the subject was brought up: “Shabby”, “Ugly”.
      • John Wolff suggested that perhaps the City, instead of spending money, could grant RCPOA stewardship of the planting and maintenance of that median.
      • Leanne Reynolds suggested that the Board could create a Beautification Committee tasked with addressing problem trees, utility boxes, maintaining the triangular median, etc.
      • Leanne also suggested that we could put a boulder in the median with a plaque bearing the name (and perhaps the logo) of the RCPOA.
      • Wendy Myers suggested that Stephanie would be a good candidate to Chair this proposed Committee.
      • Leanne: The Garden Group might be expanded to include Beautification.
    4. Glendale Police Foundation Awards Luncheon

      ~9:07 PM — Announcement by Bruce Hinckley.

      • Many RCPOA Board members attended this event last year.  This year the event will be held at the Civic Auditorium on May 12.
      • Last year we had an RCPOA Table at the event.  Hopefully we can do the same this year.  Funds raised by the Glendale Police Foundation are used to send Police personnel to competitions an such.
      • $95 per ticket.
      • Bruce will send an email with details to Board members.
  5. Adjournment

    ~9:11 PM — The meeting adjourned.


Todd Yvega, Secretary


Menu