Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, JULY 11, 2016

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call
  2. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting
  3. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report
    2. Membership Committee Report
    3. Neighborhood Watch
    4. National Night Out Committee Report
    5. Recess
    6. Summer Social Planning
    7. Newsletter Report
    8. Picnic Recap
    9. GCC / Civic Auditorium Update
  4. New Business
    1. aLoft Hotel
    2. Armenian American Museum
  5. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call

    ~7:01 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at the home of Director Armine Hacopian, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present.

    Directors present (at the call to order)
    Lyn Foster, Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Armine Hacopian, Richard Lee, Barbara Mastro, Tina Parsegian, John Wolff, Todd Yvega.
    Directors present (arriving after the call to order)
    Bruce Hinckley, Armine Perian.
    Directors absent
    Wendy Myers, Leanne Reynolds, Beth Volpe.
  2. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting

    ~7:02 PM — Secretary Todd Yvega presented.

    • The draft minutes of the May 9 Regular Board Meeting were initially distributed to the Board on Saturday May 28, with all attachments live by Saturday, June 18.
    • The President redistributed the minutes without corrections on Monday, June 27, along with the agenda for this meeting.
    • Todd described one correction (a deletion) that will be made before the minutes are published on the website.

    The Secretary asked the Board for any further corrections.  None were offered.  The minutes are approved as corrected.

  3. Open Issues
    1. Treasurer’s Report

      ~7:04 PM — Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      Richard distributed the following documents to the Board, and reviewed them for the directors in attendance.

      • Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results for the period May 9 through July 11, 2016 (attached).
      • Financial Results for the Twelfth Annual Summer Picnic (attached).
      • RCPOA Budget for 2016 (attached).

      ~7:05 PM — Bruce Hinckley arrived.

      • Tina Parsegian asked why picnic contributions are not added to the picnic budget.
      • Bruce Hinckley acknowledged Leanne’s $11,000 picnic donations to date.

      ~7:17 PM — Armine Perian arrived.

      • Bruce Hinckley raised the following points about the following items in the Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results:
        • Regarding the $140 “Membership dues future years” income item, Bruce pointed out the risk in implicitly agreeing to provide Association services so many years in advance.
        • Regarding the $100 “Lecture Tour Huntington Gardens Cycads” expense, Bruce pointed out that beyond seed money for start-ups, interest groups should be self-sufficient.  A potentially bad precedent is being set by allowing an Interest Group to draw upon the general fund without Board approval.

      ~7:23 PM — Bruce Hinckley motioned, “In order for an expenditure incurred by an Interest Group to be drawn against the RCPOA treasury, approval by a vote of the Board must be obtained.”

      Open for discussion.

      ~7:34 PM — The motion was seconded and carried unanimously.

      ~7:35 PM — Cheryl Frees-Yvega asked permission to send flowers on behalf of the RCPOA to Angela Kohan to thank her for hosting the Neighborhood Watch and Crime Prevention meeting on Monday, June 27.  The meeting featured presentations by Glendale Police Lt. Oscar Rodriguez and Ofc. James Colvin.  It was attended by ~100 people.  Estimated expense for good flowers including delivery: $150.  Approved unanimously.

      ~7:36 PM — Richard Lee requested that the Board retroactively approve the $100 payment to the Huntington Garden Arborist made on behalf of the Garden Group.  Approved unanimously.

    2. Membership Committee Report

      ~7:37 PM — President Frees-Yvega read the report of Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers (not present).

      • Directors praised Wendy’s accomplishments.
      • Tina Parsegian suggested that we once again put a photograph of Wendy in the newsletter because, with so many recent home invasion crimes, people are hesitant to open their doors.
    3. Neighborhood Watch

      ~7:41 PM — Armine Perian presented.

      • A Block Captain meeting was held at Lyn Foster’s home on Thursday July 7.
      • Armine will monitor Nextdoor.com, CrimeMapping.com and Glendale News-Press and send Constant Contact email blasts when there is something worthwhile to report.
      • Armine plans to hold annual meetings for Block Captains and interested parties.
      • Cheryl Frees-Yvega passed around the following printouts to provide examples of the types of Constant Contact messages Armine will be sending:
        • A news digest that had been emailed after the June 27 Neighborhood Watch and Crime Prevention meeting with the Police.
        • An FYI that had been emailed after a car break-in on April 12.
        • An Alert message which was only a sample (i.e., has not been emailed).
      • Armine Hacopian suggested:
        • Reminding residents who live on the hillsides to be aware of wild animals.
        • Adding to a Neighborhood Watch notification that this is fire season and so residents should clear brush on their property.  Lyn Foster said she would put that in the newsletter since, as that is a non-crime-related topic, the newsletter is a more suitable place for it.
      • Bruce Hinckley said that he has heard complaints from some people that there was no police response after they had reported suspicious activity.  Bruce suggests we create some sort of mechanism to track such incidents.
    4. National Night Out Committee Report

      ~7:54 PM — Armine Perian presented.

      • Location: 1446, 1450, 1458 Royal Boulevard (at Moreno Drive).
      • Designated kids area at 1446 Royal Blvd.
      • Cones are needed to block off Moreno Dr.  Beth will visit the neighbors on Moreno Dr. to let them know what to expect.
      • Signs and banners are already erected.
      • Volunteers are needed to help set up and tear down.  Joe Volpe will coordinate.
      • Bothe food trucks have agreed to waive their minimum requirement.
      • Sadly, there will be no National Night Outhouse (Porta-Potty) this year, as the use does not justify the cost.
        • Armine Hacopian thinks it’s a mistake to not have a Porta-Potty at the event.  She and Lyn Foster have offered to donate the cost.  Armine Perian suggested that she take it up with Beth Volpe.
      • The Glendale Community College will have a significant presence at the event again this year.  Armine Hacopian says she is coordinating with the Glendale Police and Fire Departments to avoid duplication of effort.
      • The committee contacted security companies, both national and local, to offer them the opportunity to set up a table or display at the event.
        • ADT Security Systems will supply information and “goodies” but won’t send a representative.
        • Ring has donated a video doorbell device to be raffled.
        • The committee hasn’t yet heard back from the local security company.
        • Lyn will make a sign to call attention to the raffle and the table with ADT and Ring brochures and goodies.
      • Armine has posted an appeal for donations on Nextdoor.com.  About $900 has been pledged or received.
    5. Recess

      ~8:00 PM — The Chair called a ten minute recess.

      ~8:14 PM — The Chair called the meeting back to order.

    6. Summer Social Planning

      ~8:14 PM — Director Lyn Foster presented on behalf of Social Committee Chair Leanne Reynolds (not present).

      • The event will be hosted by Brad and Valerie Nelson at 1524 Majestic Way on September 11.
      • The theme is “Casino Night”
      • Cocktail attire.
      • $30 per person, includes $500 in gaming chips.
      • The gaming will be conducted by a professional gambling company.
      • The dinner will be served in vessels that can be carried around, rather than on plates that would require a table seating.  This is to encourage people to walk around, mingle and participate in the games.
      • Seeking donations for prizes.
      • 50/50 raffle, $5.00 per ticket.
      • $5.00 corkage.
      • Anticipating 75 to 100 people.
    7. Newsletter Report

      ~8:22 PM — Newsletter Committee Chair Lyn Foster presented.

      To be featured in the upcoming issue:

      • Promote the Summer Social.
      • Photos of the Family Picnic
      • Lyn would like to delay the publication schedule slightly so that photos of the National Night Out event can be included.  She will try to get the newsletter to the printer on August 6.
      • Article about Neighborhood Watch and Crime Prevention.
      • Repeat the Photograph of Wendy Myers with a caption to the effect of, “If you’re not a member you might be seeing here at your door.”
      • Reminder about clearing brush during fire season.
      • Tear-off for Summer Social RSVP and membership.
      • Interest Groups
      • The plan to publish a call for volunteers for a Beautification Committee to landscape the triangular median at Royal Boulevard and East Mountain Street is tabled pending some sort of agreement from the city.
    8. Picnic Recap

      ~8:30 PM — Picnic Committee Co-Chairs Armine Hacopian and Tina Parsegian presented.

      Despite the fact that the attendees clearly enjoyed the event, some issues where identified for future improvement:

      • The caterer arrived late.
      • The caterer didn’t have sufficient staff to keep the line moving.
      • The caterer ran out of food prematurely (and cleaned up early).  So some of the non-members who came later didn’t get to eat even though they paid their $5.00.
      • Cheryl Frees-Yvega said that the caterer explained to her that in order to offer a lower price he needs to cut staff.  Some of the aforementioned problems resulted from that.
        • Cheryl suggested perhaps designating someone to help the caterer set up.
        • We might opt to pay more for the caterer to bring extra staff.
      • Tina was dissatisfied with the cleanliness, having seen food packages in the dirt.  Armine H. mentioned similar observations.
      • John Wolff said that the small flimsy dixie cups were an annoyance, obliging attendees to make repeated “trips to the well for another sip of water”.
      • Tina added that there was no clean ice.

      Armine H. explained that the line dance instructor she had hired had to be out of town and sent a colleague in her place, who turned out to be frail due to an illness.

      Suggestions for future picnics:

      • Armine H. wishes to continue changing the theme of the picnic to keep it from becoming redundant or routine.  She suggested alternative ideas like a concert under the stars.
      • Tina suggests changing the date of the Picnic to May before the weather gets so hot and before School is out and people leave town.
      • Armine H. suggested that we recognize others who have donated, not just Leanne.
    9. GCC / Civic Auditorium Update

      ~8:46 PM — Director Armine Hacopian presented.

      • GCC is still very interested in purchasing the Civic Auditorium and the three parking lots.  The Board of Trustees doesn’t want any developer to acquire that property due to its proximity to the college.
      • GCC has no intention of building anything on the parking lots.
      • The City is stalling and has increased the price.
      • Current negotiations with the City are focused on how much time GCC will have to pay.
      • To finance the purchase the BOT will be voting to put a Bond Measure on the November ballot.

      ~8:58 PM — Armine Hacopian: Due to vulnerability to lawsuits under California’s Voting Rights Act, in 2017 the elections for GCC Board of Trustees will change from at-large elections, to geographic representation, by district.

  4. New Business
    1. aLoft Hotel

      ~9:04 PM — Brought by Cheryl Frees-Yvega

      Background:
      One RCPOA member household and several honorary associate members in the Rossmoyne area opposed the aLoft Hotel project proposed for the corner of Brand Boulevard and Dryden Street.  The RCPOA did not take a position.  Despite the opposition, the Design Review Board unanimously approved the project on Thursday, May 12.  The opposition raised money to file an appeal with the City Council.  On Tuesday, June 14, the City Council voted 4 to 1 to deny the appeal.

      Cheryl had followed the aforementioned proceedings and provided information to those who contacted her.  She described her observations to the Board.

    2. Armenian American Museum

      ~9:11 PM — Brought by Armine Hacopian.

      The California Assembly submitted its budget with a $1 Million earmark for the Armenian American Museum.  Governor Brown signed it.

  5. Adjournment

    ~9:17 PM — The meeting adjourned.


Todd Yvega, Secretary


Menu