Home


ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, MAY 8, 2017

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call
  2. Approval of Minutes from the Previous Board Meeting
  3. Open Issues
    1. Membership Committee Report
    2. Neighborhood Security Committee Report
    3. Picnic Committee Report
    4. Recess
    5. National Night Out Committee Report
    6. Summer Social Planning
    7. Newsletter Report
    8. Treasurer’s Report
  4. New Business
    1. PA System
    2. General Safety
    3. Police Foundation
    4. Glendale Hills Living Magazine Launch Party featuring Jeraldine Saunders
  5. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call

    ~7:00 PM — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at the home of Director John Wolff, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present.

    Directors present (at the call to order):
    Lyn Foster, Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Bruce Hinckley, Richard Lee, Barbara Mastro, Wendy Myers, Tina Parsegian, Armine Perian, Leanne Reynolds, Beth Volpe, John Wolff, Todd Yvega.
    Directors present (arriving after the call to order):
    Armine Hacopian.

    Opening announcements and congratulations regarding newly arrived grandchildren in the families of Directors John Wolff and Bruce Hinkley.

  2. Approval of Minutes from the Previous Board Meeting

    ~7:02 PM — Secretary Todd Yvega presented.

    Draft minutes of the March 13 Regular Board Meeting

    • Initially distributed to the Board on Tuesday, March 28 by email (Wiki URL and PDF attachment).
    • Revisions were made to the document on the Wiki a few days thereafter.  Todd explained what the two substantive corrections were.
    • The President redistributed the revised draft minutes on Monday, April 24, along with the agenda for this meeting.
    • As of last Saturday at roughly noon there had been no further edits made to the document on the wiki.

    The Secretary asked the Board for any corrections or alterations prior to approval.  None were offered.  The minutes are approved as most recently distributed.

  3. Open Issues
    1. Membership Committee Report

      ~7:05 PM — Vice President and Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers presented.

      • 259 members.
      • Wendy is currently focusing on former members who have not yet renewed, and new residents.
      • Wendy has made personal contact with (or sent letters to) 133 homes.  She reports very good response.
      • Once most of the former members have renewed Wendy will then focus on Nextdoor.com members who are not RCPOA members (as their presence on Nextdoor.com suggests interest in the community).
    2. Neighborhood Security Committee Report

      ~7:08 PM — Neighborhood Security Committee Chair Armine Perian presented.

      The committee has been meeting monthly and will meet again on Tuesday, May 16.

      Armine outlined the committee’s Overall Plan

      • The current priorities are to heighten education for the neighborhood regarding security, what to do, what not to do, and what to be aware of.
      • Raffi Saroyan has created a website for the committee (separate from the RCPOA website).  He sent an introduction and the URL for review to the Board and to Officer Sue Shine.  (For later reference, this site is casually referred to as “the WordPress site”.)
      • The committee plans semi-annual neighborhood meetings with the Police Department in June (before summer vacation) and November (before the holidays).  The committee has already contacted the Police Department regarding this.  Once a venue is establish the Police will prepare a program.
      • Armine asked to be informed if Board members might know someone who would want to host one of these neighborhood meetings with the Police Department.

      ~7:10 PM — Director Armine Hacopian arrived.

      • The committee intends to post occasional “infobites” on Nextdoor.com.
      • Two-tiered approach to communication/education:
      1. Electronic — Updates to the WordPress site and Nextdoor.com postings.
      2. Hardcopy — A welcome package and printed materials taken from the approved WordPress site.  The committee has two volunteers to walk the neighborhood to offer the welcome package and identify neighbors lacking easy internet access who may benefit from the hardcopy materials.

      Floor open for discussion

      • Richard Lee explained that at a recent GHCC Executive Board meeting he acquired a copy of a security-related booklet that the Adams Hill Association passes out to new residents.  He offered to give it to Armine to serve as an example for her committee’s welcome package.
      • Bruce Hinckley suggested improvements to the the WordPress site:
        • Listing one or more contacts.
        • Currently the site lists (un-vouched for) vendors for cameras.  Eventually it would be good to offer testimonials from those who have used the vendors.
      • Todd will modify rcpoa.net to prominently display a link to the Neighborhood Security Committee’s WordPress site on a simplified starting page, and rebrand the 5 “Neighborhood Watch” pages on rcpoa.net to “Neighborhood Security”.  This should help direct security-minded rcpoa.net visitors to the Neighborhood Security Committee’s site, and clarify the distinction between it and the 5 Neighborhood Security pages on rcpoa.net.
      • Lyn asked if we can advertise the new site in the newsletter.

      Armine outlined the committee’s efforts regarding lighting

      • Two prongs: Municipal and Private
        • John Ovsepian continues to work with the city to investigate the possibility of installing municipal lights.  A lot of red tape is involved, but it is worth the effort (if for nothing else) to learn what is involved.
        • Residents can install their own lighting as long as they are set back at least 18 inches from the curb.  The committee may publicize this fact.
      • As progress is made regarding lighting, relevant information may be posted on the WordPress site, and an appropriate City official may present at one of the semi-annual neighborhood security meetings.
      • Beth Volpe said that there are no lights on Las Flores Drive.
      • Beth suggested that the Neighborhood Security Committee should have a table at National Night Out.
      • Armine Hacopian suggests having a table with reflectors so that pedestrians, joggers, dog walkers, etc., can be more easily seen by drivers at night.  Armine Perian thinks that would be more appropriate for a separate Personal Safety group.

      ~7:42 PM — Director Armine Perian departed.

    3. Picnic Committee Report

      ~7:42 PM — Picnic Committee Co-Chair Tina Parsegian presented.

      • New signs with white background that will be easy to patch for reuse in subsequent years.
      • After researching caterers, it turned out that Kyle’s price was less than half of any others.
      • Costs have increased so after this year we may have to re-evaluate the picnic budget and price of admission for nonmembers, or perhaps consider no longer hosting a picnic.
      • There will be games for adults.
      • Armine Hacopian offered to donate $100 towards gifts.
      • No photographer this year, so let’s bring cameras.
    4. Recess

      ~7:58 PM — The Chair called a brief recess.

      ~8:09 PM — The Chair called the meeting back to order.

    5. National Night Out Committee Report

      ~8:09 PM — National Night Out Committee Chair Beth Volpe presented.

      • Beth will wait until after the picnic before advertising our National Night Out event and seeking committee volunteers and donors.
      • We will have the same location this year as last year.
      • The city will not require permits this year.
      • Scott Smissen will provide lights.
    6. Summer Social Planning

      ~8:15 PM — Social Committee Chair Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Venue: Mark and Sharla Bohman’s home, 1428 Imperial Drive.
      • Discussion about whether to schedule the event for Saturday 9-16, or Sunday 9-17.  The pros and cons of each were discussed.  Saturday the 16th was selected by informal vote.
      • Beth Volpe and Armine Hacopian joined the Social Committee to help with the Summer Social.
    7. Newsletter Report

      ~8:26 PM — Newsletter Committee Chair Lyn Foster presented.

      • Joyce the Mailing Lady unexpectedly retired.  As a replacement, Harvey (of Harvey Printers) recommended Faye Kohan at Chase Avenue Production Direct Mail Services.  Faye handled the mailing of the May newsletter.  She was very professional and easy to work with.
      • Price comparison: The May mailing was without attached envelope.  Faye’s price was $340.  Joyce’s price for the last similar mailing was $351.
      • Beth Volpe suggested listing Board members and committee Chairs in newsletters when space is available.
      • The deadline for submissions for the next newsletter is July 25.  It should arrive in mailboxes on August 22.
      • The next newsletter should have photos of the Family Picnic and the National Night Out event, so Lyn asks anyone who takes photos at those events to send her candidates for inclusion.
      • The next newsletter will advertise the Summer Social and will probably have an article about the Neighborhood Security Committee.

      ~8:33 PM — Tina Parsegian suggested putting some sort of game or trivia in the newsletter.  (Where’s Wendy ala Where’s Waldo)

    8. Treasurer’s Report

      ~8:35 PM — Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      Richard distributed the following documents to the Board, and reviewed them for the directors in attendance.

      • Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results for the period March 13 through May 8, 2017 (attached)
      • RCPOA Budget for 2017 (attached)

      ~8:41 PM — Bruce Hinckley: “I move that the Board approve the Treasurer’s Financial Reports.”

      Seconded, no discussion, carried unanimously.

  4. New Business
    1. PA System

      ~8:42 PM — Brought by Cheryl Frees-Yvega.

      Cheryl explained that the PA system that the RCPOA purchased in 2012 has been very problematic and unreliable, and that it stopped working at last year’s National Night Out event.  She suggests that we should acquire a simpler more robust PA system.  There is no need for fancy features — we just need a rudimentary, reliable PA system to address a crowd.

      • Joe Volpe has a battery operated megaphone that will be used at the picnic. So we can determine if it would be sufficient for the Summer social.
      • Also Lyn Foster and Glenn Webb have a PA system, which the band used at the 2015 Summer Social at their house.  We might borrow theirs until we acquire our own.

      The issue is tabled pending trials of the aforementioned systems.

    2. General Safety

      ~8:46 PM — Brought by Armine Hacopian.

      Armine is concerned about disaster preparedness (earthquakes and brush fires in particular).  She is working on gathering information and advice from relevant authorities and will pass her findings to the Board so that RCPOA can disseminate the information and advice to area residents.

    3. Police Foundation

      ~8:50 PM — Brought by Bruce Hinckley.

      Bruce announced that the annual Glendale Police Foundation Awards Luncheon will be held this Thursday at the Hilton.  RCPOA has had a table there in prior years.  The cost is $75 per ticket.  Bruce said that if anyone would like to attend he would be glad to issue tickets.  For those who can’t attend, as a donation we can purchase a ticket for a police officer to attend.

    4. Glendale Hills Living Magazine Launch Party featuring Jeraldine Saunders

      ~8:50 PM — Brought by Cheryl Frees-Yvega.

      Cheryl announced that the May issue of Glendale Hills Living Magazine will feature Jeraldine Saunders (aka The Love Boat Lady).  A launch party and fundraiser honoring Jeraldine will be held at the Antaeus Theatre on Thursday, May 25, 5:30 - 8:00 PM.

      Leanne Reynolds said that Mirna Stanley (President of the Verdugo Woodlands West HOA) will be featured in the subsequent issue of Glendale Hills Living Magazine.

  5. Adjournment

    ~8:57 PM — Meeting adjourned.


Todd Yvega, Secretary


Menu