Home

ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, MARCH 12, 2018

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call
  2. Approval of Minutes from the Previous Regular Board Meeting
  3. Open Issues
    1. Nominating Committee Report and Election of Officers
    2. Recap of the 2018 Annual Member Meeting
    3. Calendar of Events for 2018
    4. RCPOA 50th Anniversary Logo
    5. Recess
    6. Picnic Planning
    7. Neighborhood Security Committee Report
    8. Newsletter Report
    9. Treasurer’s Report and 2018 Budget
  4. New Business
    1. Verdugo Park North Plans
    2. Name badges for the new Directors
    3. GCC Property Acquisition for Future Traffic Reduction
  5. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call

    ~18:59 — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at the home of Director Tina Parsegian, the President being in the chair and the Secretary being present.

    Directors present:
    Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Armine Hacopian, Byron Hibdon, Richard Lee, Wendy Myers, Brad Nelson, Tina Parsegian, Armine Perian, Leanne Reynolds, Beth Volpe, John Wolff, Todd Yvega.
    Directors absent:
    Richard Blasco.

    Opening:

    • Cheryl welcomed the two new Directors in attendance.
    • Reminiscence of the late Barbara Mastro.  We’ll make do without a Parliamentarian for now.
    • Clarification of who are the departing and incoming directors.
  2. Approval of Minutes from the Previous Regular Board Meeting

    ~19:00 — Secretary Todd Yvega presented.

    The Secretary Explained for the new Directors present who are not yet familiar with procedures pertaining to the minutes:

    • The audio of the meetings are recorded to aid in producing the minutes.
    • The draft minutes are distributed to the Board as a PDF attached to email along with a URL to the document on the RCPOS’s wiki, where it can be edited if desired.

    Draft minutes of the December 12, 2017 Regular Board Meeting

    • Initially distributed to the Board on Saturday, January 20.  Armine Hacopian responded a couple hours later with some spelling corrections.
    • On Monday, February 26 the President distributed a PDF of the revised minutes, along with the agenda for this meeting.
    • As of last Saturday afternoon there have been no further edits made to the document on the wiki.
    • The Secretary asked the Board for any corrections or alterations prior to approval.  None were offered.  The minutes are approved as distributed.

    Draft minutes of the February 10, 2018 Annual Member Meeting

    • Initially distributed to the Board on Monday February 19.
    • On Monday, February 26 the President redistributed the PDF without revision, along with the agenda for this meeting.
    • As of last Saturday afternoon there have been no edits made to the document on the wiki.
    • The Secretary asked the Board for any corrections or alterations prior to approval.  None were offered.  The minutes are approved as distributed.
  3. Open Issues
    1. Nominating Committee Report and Election of Officers

      ~19:03 — Nominating Committee Chair John Wolff presented.

      • John distributed the report of the Nominating Committee.
      • Members of the committee include John Wolff, Dan Cabrera, Leanne Reynolds, Wendy Myers, and Bruce Hinckley.
      • The committee met on on January 28 to consider nominees for the Board of Directors.
      • The committee recommends that each of the 4 officers currently serving be re-elected by the Board.

      ~19:05 — Motions by John Wolff:

      “Elect Cheryl Frees-Yvega to a one year term as President commencing immediately.”

      Seconded, no discussion, carried unanimously.

      “Elect Wendy Myers to a one year term as Vice President commencing immediately.”

      Seconded, no discussion, carried unanimously.

      “Elect Todd Yvega to a one year term as Secretary commencing immediately.”

      Seconded, no discussion, carried unanimously.

      “Elect Richard Lee to a one year term as Treasurer commencing immediately.”

      Seconded, no discussion, carried unanimously.

    2. Recap of the 2018 Annual Member Meeting

      ~19:06 — Social Chair Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Due to the rising cost of our usual venue (the Oakmont Country Club) and expected low attendance, the Annual Member Meeting was held at the home of former Director Lyn Foster.
      • Because it takes more work to set up such an event at a private home compared to a professional facility, Leanne posed the question, “Would we hold the meeting at a home again?”.
        • Several directors responded with positive comments.

      Discussion about attendance

      • Byron Hibdon said that many people may misunderstand what the Annual Member Meeting is, as the flyers put so much emphasis on the program.  He said he was surprised to learn that the Board is elected at the Annual Meeting, that financials are presented, etc.  Had he realized all that in past years, he might have made more effort to attend.  If we did a better job of communicating what goes on at the Annual Member Meeting, we might get better attendance.
      • Cheryl conveyed a similar case of misunderstanding.  When she had asked a resident if she planned to attend the Annual Business Meeting, the resident responded with, “I don’t own a business.”  After that she started referring to it as a member meeting rather than a business meeting.
      • Armine Hacopian suggested that we have some sort of orientation for new Directors.
        • Beth Volpe concurred saying that she had been on a Board and they had an orientation meeting for new Directors where procedures were explained.
      • Byron also suggested, noting that the Summer Social is well attended every year, that we put more emphasis on the Annual Meeting being a social event.  The thought of attending a business meeting may sound dull.

      Discussion about the venue for the 2019 Annual Member Meeting

      • Armine Hacopian offered her home for the next Annual Member Meeting.
      • 3 Options: Banquete Hall, Armine Hacopian’s House, Glendale Community College.
      • Social Committee formed: Leanne Reynolds, Byron Hibdon, Armine Hacopian.
    3. Calendar of Events for 2018

      ~19:26 — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented.

      • Volunteers to host Board meetings:
        • May 14 — Brad Nelson
        • July 9 — Armine Hacopian
        • October 8 — Byron Hibdon
        • December 10 — (no-one yet)
      • The date for the Summer Social is not yet known as it will depend on the availability and preference of the host, who is not yet confirmed.
      • March 16th deadline to submit material for the newsletter due to early picnic.
    4. Recess

      ~19:54 — The Chair called a brief recess.

      ~20:03 — The Chair called the meeting back to order.

    5. Picnic Planning

      ~19:28 — Picnic Committee Chair Tina Parsegian presented.

      • Byron Hibdon had mentioned earlier that he never attended the picnic and asked, “Is it only for families with children?”  Tina cited this, along with that she sees the same people at the picnic each year, as an indication that we need to improve our advertising to clarify that the picnic is “for kids of all ages”.
      • Wendy Myers and Leanne Reynolds said that Tina’s off-the-cuff phrase, “For kids of all ages”, would make a great branding slogan.
      • Picnic Committee formed: Tina Parsegian, Leanne Reynolds, Byron Hibdon, Brad Nelson.
      • Byron Hibdon suggested getting sponsors.
        • Leanne said that as food is the primary expense, a common form of sponsorship would be local restaurants underwriting the food.
    6. Neighborhood Security Committee Report

      ~20:11 — Neighborhood Security Committee Chair Armine Perian presented.

      • Former member Jack Chammas attended one meeting when the Committee was first formed.  He proposed hiring a service that patrols the neighborhood by car and submitted pricing.  The committee didn’t pursue it because of the prohibitive cost.  More recently, Jack posted a survey on Nextdoor.com asking members to indicate whether they would want to pool money for a patrol.  The survey received about 30 responses, half of which indicated interest.
      • John Wolff described a recent pre-dawn incident in which one or more criminals climbed over his wall and broke into vehicles parked in his driveway.  There were 4 more houses along Greenbriar Road that were violated that day with the same MO.  These break-ins occurred during rain.  John said these criminals apparently like rain because fingerprints don’t adhere to surfaces in the rain.  John pointed out that a patrol car wouldn’t have helped this situation as it was not in view of the street.  He believes motion detector-activated flood lights and cameras are more effective.
      • Ring Wi-Fi camera features
        • In an adverse event, Ring will notify all nearby Ring owners — Cost: free.  (This is similar to the push notification to direct line of sight neighbors offered by many alarm companies.)
        • Cloud storage of video recordings — Cost: $3.00 per month, $30.00 per year.

      ~20:25 — From Brainstorming:

      • Further enhancement of education.  More nextdoor.com posts.
      • Jean Kagan talking to GPD to get hypotheticals.  (Due to investigations in progress, Police often can’t give specifics.)
      • At the next security meeting feature someone from Virgils or Lowes to tell us about available security products.
      • Signage (still not prioritized).
      • Start promoting cameras.
    7. Newsletter Report

      ~20:27 — President Cheryl Frees-Yvega presented the report of Newsletter Editor Richard Blasco (not present).

      • Richard has prepared a procedure for publication of the newsletter.  It documents in one place the steps, contacts, addresses, printing service, mail service, etc.
      • Richard has met with prior Newsletter Editor, Lyn Foster, to go through the mechanics of producing a print-ready layout. Richard has access to old newsletters as well as the template Lyn used for the 2017 newsletters.

      Discussion:

      • John Wolff suggested that the newsletter should have a security section.
      • Wendy Myers said that many of the residents she has visited recently say they didn’t receive the last newsletter.
        • Several directors said they too did not receive it.
      • Armine Hacopian suggested that to avoid people unknowingly throwing the newsletter out along with adjacent junk mail, we might send an email blast saying to please expect to see the newsletter in your mail on such and such a date.
      • Richard Lee pointed out that there was no envelope in the last newsletter and that because of that, there were likely fewer dues payments in the PO box.
    8. Treasurer’s Report and 2018 Budget

      ~20:39 — Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      Richard distributed the following documents to the Board, and reviewed them for the directors in attendance.

      • Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results for the period January 1 through March 12, 2018 (attached)
      • Comparative Financial Results of the Annual Member Meetings 2004 through 2018 (attached)
      • RCPOA Budget for 2018 (attached)

      ~20:50 — Motion by Todd Yvega: “Approve the Treasurer’s reports and 2018 budget as given.”

      Seconded, floor open for discussion.

      • Leanne Reynolds would like the Board to consider budgeting to print (two-color) postcards for each event to increase attendance.
      • Byron Hibdon agreed.  He said he would get together with Lyn (presumably to design them) and we’ll figure out a way to pay for them.
      • The Board can revise the budget at any time to accommodate unplanned expenses such as this.

      The chair called the question.  The motion carried unanimously.

  4. New Business
    1. Verdugo Park North Plans

      ~20:52 — Brought by Cheryl Frees-Yvega

      • Cheryl distributed printouts on 11x17 paper of maps of the three current proposals.
      • The current proposals are for the north part of the park only.
      • RCPOA has been asked to provide feedback because the North end of Verdugo park is visible from the back yards of many residents.  Cheryl emailed a “toned-down” version of this list to the Board to discuss at this meeting.
      • Earlier this day Cheryl received from Cathy Jurca, a Director of the Verdugo Woodlands West Homeowners Association, a list of their Board’s issues with the proposals.
      • Complaints about the proposals from VWW Homeowners Association:
        • They want a passive park, not so paved and over-built.
        • Paths with concrete trim obstruct using the fields for sports.
        • No need for so many parking spaces.  There is already plenty of parking.
        • No need for another community room.  There is a community room across the street (the Dads’ Club).  There is also the Civic Auditorium adjacent to the park.
        • The future “Historic Village” is a nonstarter.  (More buildings obstructing otherwise open green space.)
        • The many exercise stations are unlikely to be used much.  Expensive to maintain.

      Discussion:

      • Armine Hacopian asked how many trees will be removed for the proposed construction.  The charts show how many trees, but not which trees will be removed.  Cheryl said that Mirna Stanley, former President of the VWW Homeowners Association, suggested that the City put ribbons on the trees to be removed—a different color for each of the three proposals—so people can walk through the park and see how each proposal will affect the trees.
      • Brad Nelson said he used to attend children’s AYSO practices on that field and the proposed paths and buildings would render the park unsuitable for soccer.
      • Armine Hacopian warned that we’re only seeing planning and expenses for one half of the park.  What if the City comes up with a completely non-complementary design for the other half of the park.  It’s important to see the full plan and know the phases.  It would be irresponsible to make decisions based on a partial plan.
      • Leanne Reynolds thinks there should be no new structures built on the property at all.
    2. Name badges for the new Directors

      ~21:17 — Brought by John Wolff

      • John will be having name badges made for the new Directors.  He asked if any Directors present have lost or broken theirs, so he can replace them while he’s at it.
      • Also John asked the new Directors in attendance to send him the email address that their new @rcpoa.net email address should redirect to.
    3. GCC Property Acquisition for Future Traffic Reduction

      ~21:22 — Brought by Armine Hacopian

      • The Glendale Community College just closed escrow on their purchase of the old Citibank building next door to GCC’s Professional Development Center in Montrose.
      • The college is also in the process of purchasing 10 to 12 houses adjacent to the Garfield campus.
      • The objective of these acquisitions is to expand the PDC and the Garfield Campus, thereby enabling GCC to move more classes off the main campus as a traffic/congestion mitigation measure.
  5. Adjournment

    ~21:25 — Meeting adjourned.


Todd Yvega, Secretary


Menu