Home

ROYAL CANYON PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

MONDAY, MAY 14, 2018

Menu


Table of Contents

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call
  2. Open Issues
    1. Membership Committee Report
    2. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting
    3. Picnic Committee Report
    4. National Night Out Committee Report
    5. Neighborhood Security Committee Report
    6. Recess
    7. Summer Social Planning
    8. Newsletter Report
    9. Treasurer’s Report
  3. New Business
  4. Adjournment

  1. Call to Order and Roll Call

    ~19:02 — Vice President Wendy Myers called to order the regular meeting of the RCPOA Board of Directors at the home of Director Brad Nelson, the Vice President being in the chair and the Secretary being present.

    Directors present:
    Armine Hacopian, Byron Hibdon, Richard Lee, Wendy Myers, Brad Nelson, Leanne Reynolds, John Wolff, Todd Yvega.
    Directors present (arriving after the call to order):
    Tina Parsegian, Armine Perian.
    Directors absent:
    Richard Blasco, Cheryl Frees-Yvega, Beth Volpe.
  2. Open Issues
    1. Membership Committee Report

      ~19:03 — Vice President and Membership Committee Chair Wendy Myers presented.

      ~19:04 — Director Tina Parsegian arrived.

      • 257 members — almost the same as this time last year.  This is ~40% of the neighborhood.  Richard Lee pointed out that by contrast some of the nearby associations have ~10% membership.
      • 82 dues payments ($1,640) in 30 calendar days.
      • Wendy explained that many residents seem disinclined to pay dues on their own initiative, but are happy to do so when nudged by a personal visit.
      • Wendy’s goal is to reach 50% so she can tell prospective members that over half of their neighbors are members.
      • The Board expressed appreciation for Wendy’s efforts.
    2. Approval of Minutes From the Previous Regular Board Meeting

      ~19:08 — Secretary Todd Yvega presented.

      Draft minutes of the March 12, 2018 Regular Board Meeting

      • Initially distributed to the Board on Saturday, April 21, by email (PDF attachment and URL to the document on the RCPOA wiki).
      • On Monday, April 30 the President redistributed the aforementioned PDF (unrevised), along with the agenda for this meeting.
      • As of yesterday evening there had been no further edits made to the document on the wiki.
      • The Secretary asked the Board for any corrections or alterations prior to approval.  None were offered.

      Motion by Todd Yvega: “I move that the draft minutes of the March Regular Board meeting be approved as distributed.”

      Seconded, no discussion, carried unanimously.

    3. Picnic Committee Report

      ~19:10 — Picnic Committee Chair Tina Parsegian and Committee member Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Everything is set.  We have a good committee this year.  They worked very well.  It was helpful to have 4 or 5 rather than 1 or 2.
      • Fried chicken from Popeye’s.  $717.00 (~7.55 per person).  Includes small apple pies — an easy dessert.
      • The light and dark meat will be labeled to hopefully avoid anyone picking something and then putting it back.
      • Beth and Joe Volpe will pick up the food.  Call for two volunteers to help carry it in: Todd Yvega and Brad Nelson volunteered.
      • Nominal start and end time: 11:30 to 13:30.
        • 10:30 — Arrival of RCPOA Board (Some Picnic committee members will be there as early as 10:00)
        • 11:00 — Signs should be deployed a half hour before nominal start because some attendees arrive early
        • 11:00 — Arrival of the square dance caller
        • 11:15 — Unloading food
      • Brad Nelson will deploy the signs guiding attendees to the location.
      • Brad Nelson initially placed the banner in front of 1405 East Mountain Street (not realizing it was a different property than the one that granted permission — 1308 Greenbriar Road).  Someone unknown to us moved it to the traditional location: the wrought iron fence in front of 1308 Greenbriar Road.  However That fence is now overgrown by bougainvilleas which caused the banner to be insufficiently taut.  So Brad remounted it in front of the brick wall below the fence, which he still considers less than satisfactory.
      • Armine Hacopian offered to bring cookies, etc.
      • Byron Hibdon, in charge of drinks, asked if anyone could lend a large tub or cooler for ice.  Several directors offered theirs.
      • Action items for sign-in table:
        • Byron Hibdon to bring table.
        • Wendy Myers to bring 3 folding chairs.
        • Todd Yvega to bring blank name tags and sharpies.
      • Leanne Reynolds asked everyone to RSVP on Nextdoor.com because only 4 people have RSVPed there so far, which may look to others as if very few people want to attend.
      • John Wolff: The banners say 11:30 to 2:00 whereas the signs say 11:30 to 1:30.  Luckily the start time is consistent.  The end time isn’t so important as people tend to stay as long as they like or leave when they choose.

      ~19:35 — Director Armine Perian arrived.

    4. National Night Out Committee Report

      ~19:37 — National Night Out Committee member Armine Perian read the report of Committee Chair Beth Volpe (not present).

      1. Registered event with NATW (National Association of Town Watch) and the City of Glendale.
      2. Former newsletter editor Lyn Foster submitted the flyer to Richard Blasco (current newsletter editor).
      3. Don Snyder offered tables and chairs once again, enabling us to rent fewer thereby saving money.
      4. Beth has contacted Orchid Party Rentals for additional tables and chairs.  She will send Richard Lee an invoice so he can send a check to reserve the tables and chairs.
      5. The location will be the same.
      6. An organizational meeting will be held next Monday at Beth’s house.  Beth solicited volunteers on Nextdoor.com.  As a result there will be some new people at the meeting.

      Armine Hacopian said she is working to bring the GCC fire trucks, police car, etc, as usual.

    5. Neighborhood Security Committee Report

      ~19:39 — Neighborhood Security Committee Chair Armine Perian presented.

      • Due to be announced: The next semi-annual neighborhood meeting with the Glendale Police Department.  Aiming for June 19 through 21.  Waiting the hear back from GPD and working to build an agenda.
      • The committee is hoping for a more interactive meeting in which the GPD responds to questions from the group rather than having a one-way presentation.  Preference for specific case scenarios.
      • Raffi Saroyan will present pros and cons of Ring and Nest security cameras.
      • Last year the December meeting with police was not well attended probably because people get very busy during the holidays.  So, going forward, the “winter” meeting will be scheduled for November.
      • Regarding the mission to encourage residents to establish alarm company notification to their line-of-sight neighbors: The committee posted multiple times on Nextdoor.com to this end but with no traction.
        • Ring has a similar feature, so the committee will recommend that as well.
    6. Recess

      ~19:44 — The Chair called a brief recess.

      ~19:56 — The Chair called the meeting back to order.

    7. Summer Social Planning

      ~19:56 — Social Committee Chair Leanne Reynolds presented.

      • Date and venue locked: August 25 at the home of Jay Butler: 1471 Royal Boulevard.
      • Theme: Enchanted forest, because the far end of the back yard has a grove of tall Deodar cedar trees.
      • Leanne wants to increase the quality (and the cost) because the gentleman who is our host this year wants the event to have “good food”.  She doesn’t yet know what the menu will be.
        • Tina Parsegian recommended a caterer she used who brought very good pastas.
    8. Newsletter Report

      ~20:02 — Wendy Myers presented on behalf of Newsletter Editor Richard Blasco (not present).

      • The deadline for the newsletter is June 11th (back-timed to achieve the desired delivery date based on previously experienced durations of production, printing, and mailing.)
      • Todd Yvega pointed out that our new newsletter editor, Richard Blasco, “pulled a rabbit out of the hat” with the last newsletter (his first) because, upon joining the Board, be bought the page layout software and had to learn how to use it while assembling the newsletter under tight deadline pressure.
      • A few directors expressed a desire that Richard acknowledge receipt of materials submitted for the newsletter.
    9. Treasurer’s Report

      ~20:03 — Treasurer Richard Lee presented.

      Richard distributed the following documents to the Board, and reviewed them for the directors in attendance.

      • Treasurer’s Report of Financial Results for the period March 12 through May 14, 2018 (attached)
      • RCPOA Budget for 2018 (attachment unavailable)
      • Wendy Myers asked where contributions for specific events, such as the Picnic, appear on the report.  Richard explained that general contributions appear on this statement, but contributions for specific events will appear on the financial results statement for that event.
      • Armine Perian asked if funds left over from profitable events can be used for other events, citing that Beth Volpe needs to seek donations each year for National Night Out due to its low budget.
        • Todd Yvega pointed out that we can always vote to increase the budget for any event.
        • Byron Hibdon commented that this association is not cash poor, and we shouldn’t be running events where people need to be making contributions.  If the budgets aren’t sufficient, we should review and adjust them.

      Long impromptu discussions followed about Summer Social and Picnic budgets, membership canvasing, the recurring question of having a welcome package, etc.

  3. New Business

    (No new business).

  4. Adjournment

    ~20:24 — Meeting adjourned.


Todd Yvega, Secretary


Menu